Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

The move and my STUFF!

How many times in ones life does one move?
One - from your parents home to your first home?
Two - many times with your parents as your father changes jobs?
Three - to University (many moves) into you 20's - many moves across the city, the province, the country the world.

How many times do we start over - with nothing and ending up with so much stuff you are overwhelmed with it?

I moved out of my parents home for the first time when I was 20. That did not last too long - but it was a good experience. The second time I moved out of my parents home I moved to the Northwest Territories (Western Artic) and lived in Yellowknife. Now that was far and I probably would not have done it if I had not already lived on my own for a year.

After that I was a wanderer - I moved very often with just my clothes - I had not started my life long pursuit of acquiring stuff.

In my mid 20's I moved from Ottawa to Toronto and have been here eversince. From 1976 to 2010 I have moved 11 times - and I am now getting ready for my 12th move.

Each time I started with less than when I had arrived - how do we end up with so much stuff? What is it that compels us to buy, accept free stuff, pick up stuff and never get rid of it. We cannot bear to throw it away or give it away. What is the association that we have - are we afraid that we will give away the where, when, who raher than the item. Even if we give away the item we still have the memory.

I just gave away a box of penguins that had been packed away in 1989 and was looked at for the first time yesterday. It actually felt good to give it away. Now I am on a roll and getting rid of lots of stuff.

My contents sale was very successful last weekend and managed to get rid of more than 60 percent of my stuff.

No comments: